Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Burkinabe Conversation

At first, I thought people thought I was really stupid. I had filled out a baby's chart and the
woman I was working with said "The baby gained weight. Look he was 5kg now he is 5.5. And look he got taller too. He used to be 62cm and now he is 64cm. He got bigger."
Another day, people were talking in Jula and I was trying to understand. I caught on that they were talking about the price of couscous. About 5 minutes later, I assumed they had moved on to a different subject.
However, you have to admit that the price of couscous is truly facsinating stuff. They think so too because they were still talking about it.
Many conversations follow this pattern where someone says something very clear and repeats it multiple times. It is an art.

No comments:

Post a Comment