Friday, March 30, 2012

Where does Shea butter come from?

Last month, I got a chance to visit a village near mine that makes high quality Shea butter (no, I can't tell the difference in Shea butter quality, I am going off of what people tell me). A friend of mine started helping the women transport the butter to cities from their village because there is not a big enough market for the butter in their village and they don't have transportation aside from walking. My friend asked if I could go with him to see the group and then use my mad PCV skills to help them, finding other markets and ways to transport the product there.
I showed up to the village and was greeted by a large group of women, all in various stages of making Shea butter. They greeted me and, in the usual Burkina style, offered me water and food. After the initial pleasantries, they proceeded to show me how one actually makes the Shea butter:


Step One - start with Shea butter seeds.


Step Two - soak the seeds in hot water, then dry them in the sun.


Step Three - pound the seeds


Step Four - roast the seeds


Step Five - Grind the pieces into a thick liquid state (or use a mill if you have one)


Step Six - mix the Shea goop


Step Seven - stir over heat to separate oil from the semi-solid parts


Step Eight - Let it cool into a butter consistency


And there you have it! All you need now is your own Shea tree, right? :)

*If some reader out there happens to be an expert in Shea butter making or interested in becoming such, I admit that there could be errors/something left out of my process. I'm going off pictures I took and my memory, I am not claiming to be an expert on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment