Sunday, November 28, 2010

Yeah, that marches.

So life in Burkina continues to go well. Days are starting to feel long with training and such but weeks go by in a snap (I don’t know how that happens!)
I went to the tailor last week to have some clothes made and I get to pick them up tomorrow!! I am pretty excited about THAT. So far I have just been wearing what I brought with me and I am looking forward to wearing legit Burkina clothes  I will post pictures. As usual at the tailor when I asked for a specific shirt style to be made my aunt laughed at me and said “What would you wear that with?! Pants?! No no that will not look pretty. Okay how about this…this is better.” So one of my shirts is going to be a surprise!
Girls are starting to buzz cut their hair because they are sick of dealing with it. I have NOT reached this point and am choosing to keep my long hair (even though all I do is tie it back)
Thanksgiving was awesome. In the morning we had training and even though I was really excited about our party, I was sad I wasn’t at home with my family watching the parade and hanging out making food. Once I became distracted cooking I felt much better. My friend David and I made green beans, stuffing, and gravy all from scratch and they were delicious. I remain impressed with myself. Once everyone cooked at different people’s houses, we all regrouped at the training center with looooong tables full of amazing delicious food. Everyone was beyond excited and we all filled our plates with plans for going back for seconds and thirds and fourths…
However, after only 6 weeks in Burkina, eating massive amounts of American food proved to be too much for our poor stomachs. No one could even finish their first plate, let alone get seconds. Some people even got sick to their stomachs, but it was worth it. Lol.
Everyone hung out and danced and played games and chatted all night long and it was a very cool very different Thanksgiving.
Comment if there are any specific things you want to hear more about!!
Peace out!

3 comments:

  1. What do you eat? Like I know probably it feels like you have told us, but tell me all of your meals for the past two or three days.

    Also is there anything else you need sent?

    Also can you ask someone in the PC about crossing the border? Like if I fly to Ghana to see you will there be issues?

    I love you my amazing adventury sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. please don't shave your head. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Emily - DON't shave your head - keep pulling it back (its your one beauty - ha ha - of course its NOT - but I know how you like little women!) Glad you had a good thanksgiving. We missed you too. Emily and I cried everytime the Folgers commercial with the guy coming home from West Africa came on (I know that you probably don't see commercials or tv in BF - do you?)....what basket cases we were!! Keep us updated!!

    ReplyDelete